Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Manga Review: The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Vol. 5 by Eiji Otsuka and Housui Yamazaki

Every Tuesday I'll post either an anime or manga review.

I never thought I’d see a pink-colored manga cover but Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service proves me wrong and does it in a stylish way. So far, this series has been quite consistent, mainly because with the exception of one volume, all the stories are self-contained stories which is friendly to new readers. There are four chapters in this particular manga as well as a comprehensive glossary. Most of the chapters are your standard fare Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service story, which is to say they’re weird and bizarre. What’s remarkable however is the first chapter which makes good use of Yamazaki’s art style in particular. Otherwise, this volume follows the old formula although Otsuka drops more hints towards the origins of the powers of our main protagonist. My only complaint about the entire series is that it’s already the fifth book and I’m getting tired of these episodic stories. Give me the big, overarching story arcs! The build-up has been slow and steady and while some people might see that as a good thing, I’m honestly getting impatient and I can’t help but wonder whether the payoff is worth it. As usual, if you liked the previous volumes, don’t hesitate to grab this volume. Otherwise, if you’re looking for a drastic change of pace or climax, no, it hasn’t happened yet.

Rating: 3/5.

No comments: